Accent Searches in Accordance Bible Software
Late last year I bought a license for an Accordance bundle/
Since, I am a bit busy and maybe lazy at the moment I will re-post a short description of an Accent search I posted on the Accordance Forums last year:
Originally Posted on the November 6th, 2012 – 11:10 pm. I’ve always envied Accordance users and
- Cantors Marshall Portnoy and Josee Wolf, The Art of Torah Cantillation pg. 61
- James D. Price,Concordance of the Hebrew accents in the Hebrew Bible: Volume 1 pg 6.
- Joshua R. Jacobson, Chanting the Hebrew Bible pg. 107-108 (Out, of his list of seven occurrences of the Shalshelet four are from the Pentateuch)
Since, I already know how many times the Shalshelet should appear in the Pentateuch I thought this would be a great search to start with. So, here is my attempt:
- Opened, Accordance
- Selected the BHS-W4
- Limited the Search range to the “Law” or the Pentateuch using the button bar above the text window.
- Click on “Window” heading on the menu bar at the top of the screen. A drop down window opened.
- Then selected “Character Palette” from the drop down window(Or the 5th choice from the top).
- In the character palette window I then selected the Yehudit (font)
- made sure that there was a check mark next to the “cantillation” option.
- Then, on the command line I entered: A wildcard period(.) followed by Shalshelet (I used the character palette to select it)
- Finally, I Hit enter
Sure, enough Accordance brought back all four verses in the Torah/Pentateuch which contain the Shalshelet. That was great! Now, I know what people mean when they say Accordance is intuitive! I was