Το αποδημείν εί αρίστη παιδεία
The greatest education is being aboard (the act of traveling). / Traveling/the journey is the perfect education.
Brief Parsing Information:
- Το is the definite article
- αποδημείν is a contrastive present active infinitive verb with the meaning being or going on journey
- εί this looks like it the subjunctive meaning ‘if’, but it is more likely a present indicative form of εἶμι (will go) or εἰμί (to be)
- αρίστη is a feminine singular adjective (can be dative, vocative, and nominative) it means best or perfect
- παιδεία is a feminine singular noun (it can be vocative or nominative) meaning education or raising children
Today’s quote is a famous saying/proverb, and unfortunately, no one knows who first said it.